This summer T.com and I picked up tennis. We were inspired by a really nice court that is only a two minute walk from our house. We realized, however, that all we had was one racket and no tennis balls. We pondered what it would be like to play with the equipment we currently own, and decided that it just wouldn't be a very fun game of tennis with just one racket. So we hunted and got one for 5 bucks at Value Village (it's a really good one actually, Spalding and NOT wooden, so that's a bonus). And then strangely, for a week or so in August, we became obsessed with the game...we would play everyday, and watch it on the sports channel!!
I am happy to say we have "cooled off" a bit and now just play once or twice a week. The reason I am sharing our new found hobby is because playing tennis (I have never really played before but Tom has played a bit in his early teens) has brought out interesting character in yours truly.
One thing I can't figure out about myself is why I set ridiculous standards for myself. What I mean by this is that I try something new, like tennis, and expect to be a pro by like the second day! And I get so mad at myself, and so competitive about the fact that I am not really really good, when I have only played for a week or two. I think it is linked to being a passionate person somehow...plus who isn't totally competitive with their spouse? Gushy stuff, like "No, no, I am just happy that you won" is for dating (at least for me). When you are married (and especially for over a year) your spouse becomes your number one competitor...the gushy thoughts turn to, "haha sucker!" of course, said with the utmost affection...something that lasts much longer than the first mushy thoughts, this fun "sucker" attitude springs only from true companionship. So anyways, (to quote Rod Alm) it was funny when we first started playing because I would get soooo mad when I would mess up in tennis (and really it's totally legit cause I am new to the sport) and it would be this huge upset in my mind! My gracious husband just laughs at me, and I am sure secretly loves the passion I put behind everything, even competitive sports.
I will conclude by saying that I have learned to control my over-achiever attitude towards tennis. I have also improved enough to beat Tom here and there, which satisfies the ambitious nature in me. Published by Mindy on Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 7:15 PM.
2 Comments
I am happy to say we have "cooled off" a bit and now just play once or twice a week. The reason I am sharing our new found hobby is because playing tennis (I have never really played before but Tom has played a bit in his early teens) has brought out interesting character in yours truly.
One thing I can't figure out about myself is why I set ridiculous standards for myself. What I mean by this is that I try something new, like tennis, and expect to be a pro by like the second day! And I get so mad at myself, and so competitive about the fact that I am not really really good, when I have only played for a week or two. I think it is linked to being a passionate person somehow...plus who isn't totally competitive with their spouse? Gushy stuff, like "No, no, I am just happy that you won" is for dating (at least for me). When you are married (and especially for over a year) your spouse becomes your number one competitor...the gushy thoughts turn to, "haha sucker!" of course, said with the utmost affection...something that lasts much longer than the first mushy thoughts, this fun "sucker" attitude springs only from true companionship. So anyways, (to quote Rod Alm) it was funny when we first started playing because I would get soooo mad when I would mess up in tennis (and really it's totally legit cause I am new to the sport) and it would be this huge upset in my mind! My gracious husband just laughs at me, and I am sure secretly loves the passion I put behind everything, even competitive sports.
I will conclude by saying that I have learned to control my over-achiever attitude towards tennis. I have also improved enough to beat Tom here and there, which satisfies the ambitious nature in me. Published by Mindy on Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 7:15 PM.
2 Comments



Good post. Like you guys with tennis, I just picked up golfing again. I haven't played since high school and one day, Brian, Andy, and Chanston asked me to come play with them because they needed a fourth person. We've been playing for over a month now and I've gotten totally obsessed with it. I watch the golf channel quite a bit now. We're playing at the Falls in Chilliwack this Friday and our golf game has been getting a lot more competitive. It gets pretty instense between Chanston and Andy, it's so funny. Brian and I just laugh. Ah, the fellowship is great. Tell Tom I said, "Hi!" and to call me sometime.
Peace.
You guys are my preppy friends and I LOVE it! Skiing, tennis ... what's next? Polo, probably. Mindy, I understand your competitive nature. I'm like that too except I try not to show it. But inside I'm all like "hehe, sucker" or "I'll show you!"