So my grandma and I were sitting having tea, chatting away. As she is telling me a story about some friends of her's, she causally used the word 'chinwaggin'. Totally puzzled, I asked what that meant. And apparently, 'chinwag' is a totally common word (back in the day) for meeting casually with others to chat. It's exactly the same as 'going out for coffee' as we know it today (she actually used it to refer to her friends who were actually meeting for coffee). So I got curious, turns out that 'chinwag' is actually in the dictionary!! no joke:
chinwag
chin-wag n : light informal conversation for social occasions
(taken straight from dictionary.com :)
So next time you want to 'have coffee' with a friend, ask them if they want to go out for some chinwaggin' instead. Ha!! Amazing what you can learn from other generations...
Later
Published by Mindy on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 9:03 PM.
2 Comments
chinwag
chin-wag n : light informal conversation for social occasions
(taken straight from dictionary.com :)
So next time you want to 'have coffee' with a friend, ask them if they want to go out for some chinwaggin' instead. Ha!! Amazing what you can learn from other generations...
Later
Published by Mindy on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 9:03 PM.
2 Comments



I remember when my buddy, Dean and I, were gonna go for a walk down the White Rock strip from his place. His mom overheard and smiled saying are you gonna "case the joint." We were like whaaa? Case the joint? She said it meant checking out the ladies. We busted out laughing. Is that from the 60s? Dean and I said is that how you met your hubby. She was like no, but before I met him, the girls and I would "case the joint." Then, we repeated..hey mom, we're gonna case the joint. She was sorry she brought it up. A little story for ya.
Peace.
I always thought "case the joint" meant checking it out before you pulled a heist? Apparently there are two meanings. I'm going to have to start using 'chinwag' now - add it to my list of new phrases.