"Even in darkness, light shines its pure hope"
As I was riding the ferry tonight, I was struck by the magnificence of the moon. It was full and bright (low to the earth--when it's the largest). It was radiant. I was astounded again by the fact that a mere reflection of the sun can cause so much light. That's only a reflection! It's crazy!
As I was thinking about how beautiful it was, I also had to battle thoughts of 'creepy' or 'scary' as tall pine tree shadows past in front of it...words like 'eery' came to mind...and I was thinking shame on whoever made the full moon to be something scary or frightful (associated with evil and witches and crap like that!) It's beautiful. And it doesn't make sense that it is associated with those things, because if it IS a reflection of the sun then it is more likely good (if light represents 'good' and dark 'bad' then the moon, as it reflects the sun's light, is actually a glimmer of hope in the darkness, is it not?) It is actually shining light on the earth even in darkness and that is a good and beautiful thing. Once again, humankind has wrecked a perfectly good and beautiful thing. Ah well, I choose to see it as the sun reflecting its hope and goodness even in darkness. Published by Mindy on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
1 Comments
As I was riding the ferry tonight, I was struck by the magnificence of the moon. It was full and bright (low to the earth--when it's the largest). It was radiant. I was astounded again by the fact that a mere reflection of the sun can cause so much light. That's only a reflection! It's crazy!
As I was thinking about how beautiful it was, I also had to battle thoughts of 'creepy' or 'scary' as tall pine tree shadows past in front of it...words like 'eery' came to mind...and I was thinking shame on whoever made the full moon to be something scary or frightful (associated with evil and witches and crap like that!) It's beautiful. And it doesn't make sense that it is associated with those things, because if it IS a reflection of the sun then it is more likely good (if light represents 'good' and dark 'bad' then the moon, as it reflects the sun's light, is actually a glimmer of hope in the darkness, is it not?) It is actually shining light on the earth even in darkness and that is a good and beautiful thing. Once again, humankind has wrecked a perfectly good and beautiful thing. Ah well, I choose to see it as the sun reflecting its hope and goodness even in darkness. Published by Mindy on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
1 Comments



Hey Mindy. This is a great realization. I'm going to keep this in my mind every time I have fear at the sight of the moon. I love the idea of light in the darkness.