This morning Tom and I visited this African church. He needed to do this for his masters thesis, so we thought we would check it out. Seriously, right when I walked in it was like I was back in Africa. The worship was exactly the same! We sang and danced to songs I know like, "Jeho, jeho, jeho, jehojehovah!" (that one's for you Sarah!) The pastor was so warm and friendly and a typical African preacher! Except the interesting thing is that he would used analogies that you would never hear in Africa...so that's where the Canadian influence comes in I guess. For instance, he used an example of someone being addicted to food (I would never have heard that in Africa). So it was a flashback for sure, and I loved it! But I also was right back there in the fact that I felt totally "white" and stood out like a sore thumb. I definitely don't like that or miss that about Africa, but hey you can't help that. They were still super friendly, but you still feel 'different' in that environment. You can't quite meld into the crowd.
Published by Mindy
on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM.
2 Comments
2 Comments



memories...
speaking of sore thumbs: Today I went with several students to witness the baptism of one the guys I disciple. I was stared at by a couple of little girls who couldn't decide if it was possible for people to have yellow skin and black hair... I was the only asian in the room.
;p Justin
YES! Those songs are great! I am singing them in my head!! I wish Africa was truly 'that close!' As long as you didn't get requests for your number and 'delasi'!! HA!