un·der·cov·er (ndr-kvr)
conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods
pro·cras·ti·nate (pr-krst-nt, pr-)
v. pro·cras·ti·nat·ed, pro·cras·ti·nat·ing, pro·cras·ti·nates
To put off doing something, especially out
of habitual carelessness or laziness.
Most people who know me see me as a "do-er". On my birkman (for those of you who know that personality test) I score a high red...which denotes a direct-communication, get-things-done, steam-roller all the way type of red. I am always being productive - I am so productive that sometimes I will clean the tub when I am having a shower...no seriously, I am a psycho. I am naturally inclined to do a number of things at once: women like me are not called multi-taskers, they are called psycho-taskers. But at the same time, I'm not overly anal about getting things done, like, I don't stress out about it...I find it satisfying (oh gosh, as I am reading this, I think I sound like Monica off friends - and one of my friends actually said I was like her once!!) Tom laughs at me because he'll find me doing the dishes as a "study-break".
BUT..........................
I have come to the conclusion as of late, that I am undercover procrastinator. I busy myself while effectively avoiding those things I should be doing, but don't want to. I am kinda like a con artist in a sense; I am so clever at it, that people (esp. Tom and my family) think I am being productive, when in fact, I am doing things to avoid the other things I don't want to do. Let me give you an example before I lose you: I will clean up my desk "in order" to study (because I need a clean environment to be able to study properly :) Or, I will make dinner instead of calling people to make support appointments (which is always intimidating and out of my comfort zone) Or: I will blog instead of studying for my upcoming exams. It's kinda scary how skillful I am at being an "undercover procrastinator"!!! Published by Mindy on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 7:36 PM.
6 Comments
conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods
pro·cras·ti·nate (pr-krst-nt, pr-)
v. pro·cras·ti·nat·ed, pro·cras·ti·nat·ing, pro·cras·ti·nates
To put off doing something, especially out
of habitual carelessness or laziness.
Most people who know me see me as a "do-er". On my birkman (for those of you who know that personality test) I score a high red...which denotes a direct-communication, get-things-done, steam-roller all the way type of red. I am always being productive - I am so productive that sometimes I will clean the tub when I am having a shower...no seriously, I am a psycho. I am naturally inclined to do a number of things at once: women like me are not called multi-taskers, they are called psycho-taskers. But at the same time, I'm not overly anal about getting things done, like, I don't stress out about it...I find it satisfying (oh gosh, as I am reading this, I think I sound like Monica off friends - and one of my friends actually said I was like her once!!) Tom laughs at me because he'll find me doing the dishes as a "study-break".
BUT..........................
I have come to the conclusion as of late, that I am undercover procrastinator. I busy myself while effectively avoiding those things I should be doing, but don't want to. I am kinda like a con artist in a sense; I am so clever at it, that people (esp. Tom and my family) think I am being productive, when in fact, I am doing things to avoid the other things I don't want to do. Let me give you an example before I lose you: I will clean up my desk "in order" to study (because I need a clean environment to be able to study properly :) Or, I will make dinner instead of calling people to make support appointments (which is always intimidating and out of my comfort zone) Or: I will blog instead of studying for my upcoming exams. It's kinda scary how skillful I am at being an "undercover procrastinator"!!! Published by Mindy on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 7:36 PM.
6 Comments



WHOA! i totally do that too! i think your description of yourself is my brother and i combined. he says that when he was in school, he always always had to have a clean room before he started his essay. perhaps his reasoning was the same as yours, but i was never told that :P and as for me, i identify with doing dishes as a "break" from writing a paper as well. heck, folding laundry adds a spin to my routine of papers. but my all time fave is baking some cookies as a break. it's wierd though, cos it's not like im overly psycho neat like monica...i just multitask. i write a paper while im conversing with 3 people on msn, listening to music, and eating a meal. we only have so many hours in a day, so why not use it effectively, right?
You're weird. I would avoid chores at all costs if necessary. I'd say I'm an undercover avoider.
avoid
v.t. keep away or refrain from; prevent, escape from
Before my mom tells me what chores to do on my days off, I try to make plans to escape. This requires inviting a friend over (i.e. Tom) or going to the mall. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't especially when I'm playing video games. That's a difficult situation to explain to my mom that my playing video games is more important than cleaning. I remember when I had no job and did so many chores that I was gonna go insane. Thanks goodness I have a job now.
Peace.
Yeah, I don't think I'd ever do chores during "me" time, i.e. a shower. My mom asked me to once and I said no. But I'd do it before I go in for a shower, or the next day. Just not during my shower. It's such a good time for relaxation. I guess I'm very open about my procrastination. Good thing? I don't know.
Well I am supposed to be writing an eassy this lovely sunny sunday morning, so, what does that say about me? I also just cleaned my room so i could 'organize' my notes, and contemplated cleaning the shower while sitting in it and avoiding thinking about this paper. Last sunday night, I decicided that taking apart the pipes under the bathroom sink to remove a clog was far more important that doing homework, er, back to attempting to start doing 'real' work,
Mindy - I wish I was as clever as you. I'm a procrastinator - ya know the regular type cause it's always obvious when I procrastinate. I procrastinated all week long this week while I was supposed to be studying. Last night I was so sick of studying that I procrastinated by playing games on my cell phone. How's that for lame?!? The game is called Galexy Hero and it's actually quite fun . . . shoot now I sound really lame . . .
Mindy, I'm right with you on this one. I like to think of it as promoting a balanced lifestyle. Varriety is the spice of life.
Why just study for your numerical analysis class? You could wash your car, cut your hair (and clog the sink for your roomate to fix helping him procrastinate), rake the leaves, write a song, clean the kitchen, discuss the value of operation Christmas drop, organise your room and then study. It sounds so much more impressive at work on Monday morning.
"Hard work sometimes pays off over time but lazyness always pays off now" -- a wise man